Education leads to Empowerment with Gabriela Rosa – Fertility Specialist, Clinical Researcher, Author and Harvard University Awarded Scholar.
Gabriela Rosa is a world-renowned fertility specialist, host of the Fertility Challenge™ program and the founder and clinical director of the Rosa Institute, an organisation dedicated to helping couples create healthy babies, despite previous reproductive challenges.
Gabriela is a woman I have always admired and we sat down over skype and had an interesting conversation. Here’s a small part of that discussion and the full interview is available on the Empowered Marriage Podcast.
Education leads to Empowerment
I asked Gabriela about her career and how she got started. Gabriela talked about how important it is to focus on what you’re interested in. She described as ‘focus on what calls your attention and holds your attention’. There are challenges along the way and asking yourself what am I going to do and how will I get it done – have been questions that served her well over the years.
- I asked myself that question. “What am I interested in enough that I could see myself sitting for four years to study, for it to become a career”.
- “I want to become really good at one thing. What am I interested in?” So, she became a fertility specialist.
- Next year is Gabriela’s 20th year in private clinical practice.
Gabriela talked about the road bumps, you come across and the challenges being in business. “At every point, it makes you question and makes you decide to either stop, give up, move away or recommit.”
“Many parallels in that for marriage because it’s not always a straight nice, pleasurable road”. “There are times that it’s tough and intense and unpleasant and you’ve got to ask yourself, what do I want more”?
An important question to ask yourself in life
Do I want to find ways and empower myself with ways that are going to help me navigate through this challenge? Or am I going to decide to quit?
“I’ve had many of those moments over the years in doing what I do.”
“What has been interesting is that every time that I decided to up my game to a higher level and to improve my ability to respond to situations, I have grown”.
“As a result of growing”
- “It has invited me each time to recommit to what I’m doing and how I’m doing it”
- “Whether it’s that I need to look at myself differently and improve a certain aspect of what I’m doing or how I’m doing something”
- “Whether it is for me to be able to learn how to deal with and respond to people’s desires, requests, needs, etc.”
“So that each time I’m invited to look at that and deconstruct it and put it back together again is another opportunity to recommit. Which is very similar in marriage.”
Who do I need to become?
“This is the question that keeps driving me – Who do I need to become?”
“I find ways to reinvent my relationship with the challenges and the parallel for marriage and relationships is here.”
“How many times do you find yourself bumping against yourself then blaming the other person for the fact that your life is not what you dreamt or what you wanted it to be, but it’s actually really not their fault.”
“It’s the fact that you haven’t decided to take responsibility and commit to what it is that you want to create.”
“I’ve seen so many people in relationships that they say they don’t want to be in, but the reality is that they don’t categorically see as many benefits to leaving that relationship as they see drawbacks in doing so.”
“Because if they did, they wouldn’t be there”. “They still choose in that process to blame the other person for not being perfect, for not being what it is that they want them to be, or what they desire”. “And yet they fail to step up and take responsibility for the response they are getting from their partner.”
What’re your keys against stress?
- Not to compare yourself to somebody else or somebody else’s results. You are on a league of your own.
- At times you may feel inadequate. Knowing yourself is the very first place to start.
- The way that we respond to stress is different for each person. The second that you compare your experience you’re going to set yourself up for failure and for more stress.
- “Asking yourself, what’s eliciting this response in me”?
- “What is it that I need to either do or not do in order to change this response, because the feedback mechanism of the body, is being triggered here.”
- “How do I need to respond differently”? “And again, it comes back to you and what and how must I do this differently so that I can have a different experience of this whole situation”?
- “It’s about inventing and reinventing your experience with your outward environment”. “It is not true that something out there causes you stress; it’s asking yourself what am I going to do differently?”.
An informative interview with Gabriela Rosa. Tune into to my Empowered Marriage Podcast to learn more. This fortnight’s podcast is available now and discusses this topic in more depth. Education leads to Empowerment with Gabriela Rosa – https://www.powerofchange.com.au/empowered-marriage-podcast/
Gabriela Rosa is an expert in her field and if you would like to know more: