What do you get from meditation?
An inner peace, a home coming to yourself, energy, contentment, centeredness, a grounding and I can go on and on……… You ask, how can meditation give me all of this?
Meditation can be the heading and under it is self care, nurturing and stillness.
If you give it time at least 4 to 8 weeks you will begin to feel the changes within yourself
Meditation is the art of focusing all of your attention in one area. Mastering the skill of meditation takes time and requires practice. The benefits of meditation include:
• Connecting to your feelings
• Slowing you down and creating space to just be
• Reducing stress, anxiety and depression
• Broadening your sense of self away from judgement and fear
• Creating space for calmness
• Connecting with your supportive inner resources
• Connecting with yourself and thereby removing feelings of loneliness and isolation
• A feeling of acceptance towards yourself
A few tips for meditating:
• Make it part of your day; a habit like brushing your teeth.
• Stretch first to loosen your muscles and allow yourself to be more comfortable.
• Understand that the art of focusing your attention on a single point is hard work and an active process.
• Join a group or listen to recorded meditations.
. Download an app or follow a guided meditation
• Use a specific object, such as a candle, on which to focus during a meditation.
• Focus attention on your breathing. Concentrate on feeling and listening as you inhale and exhale. When your attention wanders, gently return to focus on your breathing.
• Say your own prayers or pre-written prayers that are meaningful for you.
• Try different positions – sitting or lying, opening or closing your eyes.
• Choose a room where you are comfortable.
• Place candles in the room to help you feel at ease.
• Ensure that you won’t be disturbed during the meditation.
• Know that you may feel frustrated at times. Meditation is what it is. Do the best you can at the time.
• At the end of a meditation spend a few minutes feeling appreciative of the opportunity to meditate.
Meditation takes practice, time and patience. Try different techniques and see what works for you. There is no wrong or right way. It is just about finding what brings you inner peace. If your a busy person and find it difficult to tone down the monkey mind then even more reason to practice meditation, daily.